The Gortin Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1839. The Workhouse was opened in 1842 at a cost of £3,400. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 200 inmates. The Gortin Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Crockanboy, Fallagh, Glenchiel, Glenlark, Glenroan, Gortin, Lislea, Loughash, Mount Hamilton, Moyle, Plumb Bridge, Stranaganwilly, and Trinamadan.
The Gortin Workhouse, being small in scale, was not used as much as some of its larger counterparts. As a result, it was closed in 1889. The buildings were demolished and the stone was used to build St Patrick's Catholic church on the same site.
References
For more information see here | Ireland | VIEW SOURCE | |
Public Records of Northern Ireland | Northern Ireland. Great Britain. | VIEW SOURCE |
Type of Building:
Workhouse