Categories:
Toomour Parish, Templevanney Townland, 1838 map
The Drumrat, Toomour and parts of Kilshalvy Parish Townland Information sheets bring together the first bits of information that inquisitive people ask about when looking for a relation and where they lived. These pages provide some name and place lists and online sources to introduce you to those who lived hereabouts in the recent, and not so recent, past.
Our hope is that your search fosters an appreciation for the past and its peoples and the lands they called home.
Our goal is to be helpful. Welcome to the neighbourhood.
The red numbers in the map note the specific Griffith’s Valuation (GV) fields/parcels of land. See the GV list for this town land below to match with tenants and owners holding these fields in 1857.
Lands boundaries have been redone since over the years, and of course land has changed hands. Information from the Land and Tenant Rate books at the Valuation Office will be a good source for more information about the people living on and working the land after this 1857 information. See the section below re Valuations.
We begin with the Down Survey of Ireland and other descriptive information about the townland below to get our bearings. Some sheets may contain estate records we were able to locate to give names of tenants early in the 1800s. We move on to the Tithe Applotment listings which tell us the heads of families in the town land in 1833. The Census records of 1901 and 1911 tell us who was in the houses in the townland on Census night. By visiting and searching other web sites, URL addresses provided, you may be able to track people via church records and civil records of births, marriages and deaths. Hint: The more information you have before searching, the better.
The Down Survey of Ireland
Taken in the years 1656-1658, the Down Survey of Ireland is the first ever detailed land survey on a national scale anywhere in the world. The survey sought to measure all the land to be forfeited by the Catholic Irish in order to facilitate its redistribution to Merchant Adventurers and English soldiers. For more information and to view the maps, go to http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/index.html and explore the site.
Townland of TEMPLEVANNY
Down Survey Name: Tawnlaghtnacloghfen
1641 Owner(s): Land, Church (Protestant)
1670 Owner(s): Land, Church (Protestant)
County: Sligo
Barony: Corran
Parish: Tumocoer
Profitable land: 180 plantation acres
1659 Census
Total: 68
English: 68
The Ordnance Survey Name Book
John O Donovan 1836
John O’Donovan (1806-1861) led the Ordnance Survey project collecting information about the topography of Ireland. The work was carried out by sundry surveyors visiting every parish in Ire- land. O’Donovan wrote the place name reports based on the data the surveyors collected.
For more information: https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Templevany. Teampull a mhanaigh, church of the monks; Temple-a-vanny, in English. (Temple a vanny was a monk house belonging to the Abbey of Boyle; they had this estate on a grant from Lord Lorton’s ancestors (King). It was called Dutaig na manach. Sometimes called “Teumple a waunny” signifying “Blessed Church.”
Situated in the centre of the parish on the N. and S. sides of the road from Ballymote to Ballinafad, about two miles N.W. of the latter place. It is bounded on the N. by Tully; on the E. by Carricknauness; on the S. by Brougher, and on the W. by Carrowcrory, Templevanny Lough and
Carrowreagh.
This townland contains 178 acres, of which 162 are cultivated and 5 uncultivated rough pasture, 7 of bog and 4 of water. The proprietor, Lord Kingstown, has it leased for three lives to the tenantry, at 56 pound per annum for the whole townland. County Cess amounts to 6 pound 17s 6d per annum. The soil is light and stoney intermixed with limestone rock, which is burned and used as manure. The general produce is oats, flax and potatoes. There are several middling farmhouses
in different parts of the townland and a school on the E. boundary called Templevanny National School, although the house is in the townland of Carricknauness.
Townland PlaceNames
Templevanny / Teampall an Mhanaigh (178—40) Templeavany, CPR 126a (1608), Templevany, Cen., HMR 31, 43, 46, 75, 85, Templevan, HD; Templevaney, Co. Map/OSNB, Templevany, Old Tithe Bk/OSNB, Templevanny, Map of Kingston Estate 1775/OSNB, Taumple a wauny, signifying ‘blessed church,’ Rev. Garrett/OSNB, ‘a monk house belonging to Abbey of Boyle,’ OSNB This information from ”The Placenames of Corran,” by Nollaig O Muraile, given in a lecture at the 2008 Ballymote Heritage Weekend.
Sources cited: Tax.: Ecclesiastical Taxation, 1306; F: Fiants of Tudor Sovereigns (searched selectively); CPR: Calendar of Patent Rolls of James I; Str: Strafford’s Inquisition, 1635 (from Wood-Martin’s Sligo); DS: Down Survey, c 1655 (most citations taken from OSNB); Cen.: ‘Census’ of Ireland, c. 1659; HMR: Hearth Money Roll for Co. Sligo, 1665 (ed. MacLysaght); HD: Hiberniae Delineatio (al. Petty’s Atlas), publ. 1685 (but engraved c 1663); OSBN: Ordnance Survey Parish Namebooks, 1837 (consulted - especially for evidence of Irish forms collected from native speakers of the language).
Population, Landowners and Tenants
1841 | 1851 | 1861 | 1871 | 188 | 1901 |
166 | 37 | 61 | 53 | 64 |
Sligo Tithe Applotment Book - Parish Listings
Below are the names of heads of families in the Toomour and Drumbeat parishes in 1833-4. The Tithe Applotment Books are records compiled between 1823 and 1837 to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland. We recommend a visit to the sites below for more information.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/about.jsp
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/aboutmore.jsp
The following names are taken from photocopies of the old records. We found that the online transcripts of this area of the parish/townlands at the time included names of smaller townlands whose names are no longer used. Some are listed in Griffith’s and some in the Kings House estate. We shall correct the lists if needed upon further inspection of the records et cetera. Contact us if you spot a mistake. The overall are/townland is noted as Templevanny, but the minor TL name is Tully. We list what is listed in the column named ‘townland.
Occupier | Townland |
---|---|
Owen Drury | Templevanny |
Dom Crofton | Tully in 'Kin Har' (sic) |
Andy Scanlon | noted inscription in column: change of owner Patrick Conry in K.H |
Dom Costello | Tully |
Bart Conroy | Tully |
William Cullen | Note in Column: William Cullen farming exactly same acreage in Tully in King Harmon Tully |
Hannon P.Donohue & John Donohue | Tully |
Oen Drury | |
J. Scanlon | Note in column: House division exact |
Mick Horan | |
Ed Scanlon | Note in column. House division exact |
Peter Conroy & Hugh Scanlon | Note in column. House division exact |
Andy Scanlon | Templevanny continue |
Widow Hannah | Maurice & Peter |
Pat & W Hannan | |
Mr. Hanly (Howly?) sic | Tully |
James Henry | Note in column. 'Granpys?) King Harmon |
Hubert Henry | Mullagharreva |
More information may be found at the National Archives Genealogy Website. Access the Census Records for 1901 and 1911 and many other informative sites at https://genealogy.nationalarchives.ie/
Parish Online Resources
Diocese of Achonry | County of Sligo Variant forms of parish name: Keash [includes townlands in Drumrat and Toomour] This website contains images from the National Library of Ireland’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880. Go to https://registers.nli.ie/about
Other online resources for other denominations maybe found at https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/County_Sligo,_Ireland_Genealogy#Church_Records
Griffith's Valuation 1857
County of Sligo, Barony of Corran, Union of Boyle
Griffith’s Valuation is the name given to the Primary Valuation of Ireland, a property tax survey carried out in the mid-nineteenth century. The survey involved the detailed valuation of every taxable piece of property and published county-by-county between 1847 and 1864.
The information with tenant and owner names for this town land is below. You can see the rest by going to the page on the GV site.
Explore Griffith’s Valuation online at these sites:
- https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
- https://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/irish-genealogy/
- https://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/irish-genealogy/what-is-griffiths-valuati/
Looking for more information about properties? See the Valuations Office website here
Census of Ireland
Census pages may be accessed through The National Archives of Ireland. This is the home page: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie We recommend reading the information available to become familiar with the records. We only provide names, ages and the briefest of other information. The Census pages has more about individuals and families and their houses and land.
Ireland Census 1901
County Sligo, Templevanny Townland, Toomour Parish, Templevanny DED, Boyle Poor Law Union
Occupants and houses (private dwellings/buildings) Ages as given in Census
Soden | James | 68 | Head of family | Farmer |
Bridget | 60 | Wife | ||
James | 27 | Son | All siblings not married | |
Anne | 24 | Daughter | ||
John | 22 | Son | ||
Kate | 17 | Daughter |
Walsh | Michael | 80 | Head of family | Farmer |
Mary | 62 | Wife | ||
Michael | 25 | Son | All not married | |
Mary | 38 | Daughter | ||
Thomas | 14 | Grandson | Scholar | |
Michael | 12 | Grandson | Scholar |
Mullanny | Margaret | Head of family | Agricultural Labourer | Widow |
Maggy | Daughter | Agricultural Labourer | Not married |
Walsh | John | 42 | Head of family | Farmer |
Mary | 40 | Wife | ||
Mary | 10 | Daughter | Going to school | |
John | 6 | Son | Going to school | |
Bridget | 4 | Daughter | ||
Annie | 2 | Daughter | ||
Maggy | 1 | Daughter |
Nangle | Thomas | 50 | Head of family | Agricultural Labourer | Not married |
Mary | 70 | relationship not stated | Agricultural Labourer | Not married | |
Drury | Catherine | 28 | Relative | Farmer | Not married |
Walsh | Thomas | 100 | Head of famIly | Farmer | Widower |
Pat | 60 | Son | Farmer | Married | |
Anne | 50 | Daughter in law | Farmer | Married | |
Bee | 14 | Granddaughter | Scholar | Not married |
Gorman | Thomas | 67 | Head of the family | Agricultural Labourer | Widower |
James | 28 | Son | Agricultural Labourer | not married | |
Maggie | 23 | Daughter |
Golden | Pat | 27 | Head of family | Agricultural Labourer | married |
Winnie | 25 | Wife | Agricultural Labourer | ||
Mary | 1 | Daughter |
Gorman | Richard | 57 | Head of family | Farmer | Not married |
Healy | Domnick | 28 | Servant | Farm servant | |
Gallagher | Bridget | 29 | Servant | General servant | |
Langen | Mary | 27 | Servant | General servant |
|
Ireland Census 1911
Co. Sligo Templevanny TL, Toomour Parish, Templevanny DED, Boyle Poor Law Union
Walsh | Pat | 75 | Head of family | Farmer | |
Anne | 70 | Wife | |||
Bee Jane | 24 | Daughter | Single |
Morrisroe | Lizzie | 38 | Head of family | Farmer | Single |
Michael | 23 | Brother | Agricultural Labourer | Single | |
Bridget | 21 | Sister | Single | ||
Walsh | Michael | 38 | Head of family | Single | |
Mary | 54 | Sister | Single | ||
Patrick | 40 | Brother | Bar man | Single | |
James | 18 | Nephew | Agricultural Labourer | Single (born in England) | |
Michael | 23 | Nephew | Agricultural Labourer | Single | |
Cryan | Pat | 46 | Visitor | Married | |
Maggie | 46 | Visitor | Married 21 years no children |
Soden | James | 79 | Head of family | Farmer | |
Bridget | 72 | Wife | Married for 54 years with 10 children, 3 still living - record on original inclusive | ||
James | 39 | Single | |||
John | 32 | Single | |||
Kate | 26 | Single |
Walsh | John | 57 | Head of family | Farmer | |
Mary | 58 | Wife, seamstress, married 25 years with 11 children born & 8 still living | |||
John | 18 | Son | Scholar | Single | |
Bridget | 16 | Daughter | Scholar | Single | |
Annie | 14 | Daughter | Scholar | Single | |
Maggie | 6 | Daughter | Scholar | ||
Mark | 4 | Son |
Morrisroe | Richard | 42 | Head of family | Agricultural Labourer |
Bridget | 34 | Wife | Seamstress, married 1 year with 2 children and 2 living | |
Michael | 8 | Son | Scholar | |
John | 4 months | Son |
Golden | Pat | 39 | Head of family | General labourer |
Winnie | 38 | Wife, married 11 years, 4 children born and still living | ||
Patk | 8 | Son | Scholar | |
Honoria | 6 | Daughter | Scholar | |
John | 3 | Son |
Gorman | James | 41 | Head of family | Farm Labourer |
Bridget | 48 | Wife, married 11 years, 3 children, and 3 still living | ||
Michael | 9 | Son | Scholar | |
Anne Jane | 8 | Daughter | Scholar | |
James | 4 | Son |
Gorman | Richard | 68 | Head of family | Farmer | Single |
Richard | 19 | Nephew | |||
Langton | Michael | 35 | Servant | Farm servant | |
McDonagh | Bridget | 45 | Servant | Domestic servant | |
Finna | Sarah | 16 | Servant | Domestic servant |
Scanlon | Bartley | 74 | Head of family | Farmer |
Mary | 74 | Wife, married 27 yrs with 3 children born & 3 still living | ||
Micahel | 20 | Son | Single | |
Reynolds | Mary Kate | 3 | Granddaughter |
Langan | John | Head of family | Farmer | Single |
Annie | Sister | Seamstress | Single |
What else can we know about our old parishes and townlands?
County Sligo is long inhabited, and the folks who lived here left many reminders - like the ringforts dotting our fields. We can now learn more of these and other monuments via the Archaeological Survey of Ireland, a unit of the National Monuments Service, and its’ online database base. Go to https://www.archaeology.ie and look for the Historic Environment Viewer - an online digital service provided by the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. Tis quite a tool. The viewer is accessible on most browsers and platforms, including smart phones
Future additions to assist users of these Townland Information Sheets
The local people of the Keash/Culfadda Parish area will continue to refine these Townland information sheets as time goes on. With the valuable help of neighbors and relations they will add names of residents who came to live, work and pass on to others the fields and homes of these townlands for a few more years beyond the 1911 Census, to bring knowledge of the past up close to current memory and understanding. They will also do their best to name the local fields and gathering places of by-gone days - where, for instance, our ancestors used to dance at the crossroads or meet at a well marked land mark, etc. This way, even as old places take on new meanings befitting the era, the past is not lost and our ancestors might still be seen along the roads, in the fields and their old homes - here or gone.
If you wish to download this sheet you can do so below
Website | |
Parish(es) | |
Category (ies) |